ADA Accommodation Procedures


In order for a Union Institute & University student to receive accommodations for a disability, s/he must have a written Educational Profile (EP). Students who wish to receive accommodations for a disability should use the following process to contact the Accessibility Coordinator (Section 504 and Title II):

A completed, signed Disability Disclosure form must be on file with the Accessibility Coordinator before any accommodation will be made.

ADA Coordinator Contact Information

: 802-828-8740/TDD 800-486-9968
Street Address: 62 Ridge Street, Suite 2 | Montpelier, Vermont 05602 

Student Reporting

To obtain an EP, the student must first disclose that s/he has a disability. In order to make such a confidential disclosure, the student completes the disclosure form found on the ADA webpage where it can be directly submitted to the Accessibility Coordinator using the drop box.

Faculty/Staff Reporting

  • If a student divulges to a faculty/staff member that s/he has a disability and the student does not have an Educational Profile (EP), the faculty/staff must inform the student immediately that s/he should contact the Accessibility Coordinator for a preliminary assessment.
  • The faculty/staff member who makes the referral should document it with a dated note or an email sent to the Accessibility Coordinator and keep a copy of the documentation.
  • The faculty member cannot make accommodations unless there is an Educational Profile on record for that student with the Accessibility Coordinator. Faculty members should not attempt to determine if a student has a disability. That decision is determined by the Accessibility Coordinator.  In order for accommodations to be in place, the student needs to complete the entire process outlined in the evaluation and feedback section below.

Evaluation and Feedback

Upon receipt of a signed Disability Disclosure Form indicating that a student has a disability, the Accessibility Coordinator will send the student a Disability Documentation Form. The student will take the form to her/his health care provider. All Educational Profiles and subsequent accommodations are based on recommendations of the health care provider; it is critical that the form be complete when the health care provider sends it to the Accessibility Coordinator.

When complete documentation is received relating to a disability:

The Accessibility Coordinator will request a meeting with the student (this may be accomplished by email) to discuss documentation and accommodations. If the documentation is not sufficient, the student will be so informed by the Accessibility Coordinator. The two most common reasons for needing additional information are:

  1. The health care provider does not make specific recommendations that can be used as academic or physical accommodations.
  2. The individual signing the Disability Documentation Form is not a recognized medical professional. (Any student may contact the Accessibility Coordinator for documentation criteria for the various disabilities: physical, psychological, learning, and attentional.)
  • If the student qualifies for accommodations under ADA regulations, an Educational Profile (EP) will be developed by the Accessibility Coordinator. The EP will list accommodations for learning in the educational setting. An EP outlines accommodations for the student’s disability in the learning environment of UI&U.
  • Upon written release by the student (email is accepted), this EP is provided to university personnel, especially faculty, advisors, and program coordinators, as listed by the student. The student is then urged to meet with or contact the faculty member/ advisor as soon as possible to develop a plan for accommodations for the term. The EP is stored in the office of the Accessibility Coordinator; it is not included on the student’s permanent academic record.
  • Decisions about specific adjustments not listed in the EP can be made by the advisor and student; it would be helpful to send a written copy to the Accessibility Coordinator for inclusion in the student’s file. Decisions about changes to specific accommodations can only be made by the Accessibility Coordinator in consultation with the student, and an addendum will then be made to the EP.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Accessibility Coordinator to request that his/her EP be sent to his/her instructors or other UI&U personnel at the beginning of each term.

Voluntary Nature of this System

Students are not compelled to report disabilities; this is a voluntary process. Similarly, they are not compelled to follow up on referrals to the Accessibility Coordinator, to seek and pay for professional evaluation, or to release the plan for accommodations.

If a student informs a faculty member that s/he is disabled in any way and that certain accommodations are required, that faculty member cannot make those accommodations unless the entire process outlined in the evaluation and feedback section is complete.

Sometimes a student wants nothing to do with documenting a disability and refuses to look into it further. Unless the student voluntarily completes these actions, Union Institute & University cannot make accommodations for the student.

Find additional information on ADA compliance