SEVIS Fee Information for Students
Prior to applying for your student visa you must pay a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. Department
of Homeland Security (DHS). The SEVIS fee can be paid by credit card over the Internet, by check, or by money order. Please read these instructions fully before attempting to pay the fee. Special instructions apply to students from Bermuda and Canada. Due to the unique nature of UI&U’s curriculum, F-1 students will need to be issued a new I-20 for each period of residency and will be required to pay the SEVIS fee each time a new I-20 is issued.
Option #1: Payment by credit card
DHS has a Web site to accept electronic submission of Form I-901 and payment of the SEVIS fee using a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) or a debit card (Visa, MasterCard). We strongly recommend that you use the credit card option if possible.
- Visit www.fmjfee.com
- Follow the online instructions
- Print the payment screen/ coupon to verify your payment
- Take the payment verification printout/ coupon with you to your visa interview
Option #2: Payment by check or international money order
Two options are available when paying by check or international money order:
- Internet-generated payment coupon - Students can go to the DHS fee payment Website, enter basic information, print a payment coupon, and then mail a check or international money order with the coupon to a lock-box address in Missouri. Once the information and fee are processed, SEVIS will then be updated with the fee payment information.
- Paper option - Students can download or otherwise obtain Form I-901, fill it in, and mail it, with a check or international money order, to the specified address in Missouri. Write the Control Number and your SEVIS ID number onto your check before mailing it to the address in Missouri. Once the information and fee are processed, SEVIS will then be updated with the fee payment information. In both cases, a receipt notice will be issued when the fee is processed. Mailing addresses for paying by check or international money order using the payment coupon or the paper Form I-901 are:
P.O. Box Address:
I-901 Student/ Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
P.O. Box 970020
St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
USA Street Address for Courier/ Express Delivery:
I-901 Student/ Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
1005 Convention Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63101
All checks and international money orders must be:
- Payable to “I-901 Student/ Exchange Visitor Processing Fee”.
- The check or international money order must be made in U.S. dollars and drawn on a bank located in the United States.
- An additional amount of $35 will be charged for an express delivery of the payment receipt.
Payment of the SEVIS fee is not limited to you the student. DHS will accept fee payment from a third-party individual or institution, either in the United States or abroad, using either Option #1 or Option #2 above.
You will be able to print a payment receipt electronically if you use payment Option #1. You will receive a payment receipt by return mail if you use payment Option #2. The fee must be paid at least three (3) business days prior to the scheduled date of your interview in order for the payment information to show up on the SEVIS system. You should bring your I-901 receipt with you to your visa interview. The paper receipt can be used as verification in place of the Internet verification.
Completing Form I-901:
a. You must have a Form I-20 in order to complete the I-901.
b. You must have the Union Institute & University’s School Code for the degree program location.
c. UI&U’s Cincinnati
, Ohio, Academic Center School Code is CLE214F10374000.
d. UI&U's Brattleboro
, Vermont, Academic Center School Code is POM214F00333001.
If You Are a Student from Canada or Bermuda
Students from Canada and Bermuda are exempt from having to apply for a visa. You will have to provide SEVIS fee payment verification along with your I-20 Form to an immigration inspector at the port of entry when applying for entry into the United States as an F-1 student.
If Your Visa Is Denied
If your visa is denied, you may reapply for the visa within a 12-month period, without having to pay the SEVIS fee again.
If Your Dependents Will Accompany You to the U.S.
If you have obtained an I-20 for a spouse or children, they do not have to pay a SEVIS fee in order to apply for an F-2 visa.
If You Are Admitted to More Than One School
If you have been accepted to more than one institution and paid the fee using the SEVIS ID number of another institution but you wish to attend UI&U, you will not have to pay the fee again. Bring the I-20s from both schools to the consulate or port of entry and tell the officer that you wish to attend Union Institute & University.
For additional details on SEVIS and the SEVIS fee, access the SEVIS website.