UI&U’s Criminal Justice Management (CJM) major prepares you for advancement to supervisory, management, and executive positions within the criminal justice system. Designed by criminal justice experts who have worked in the field as line employees, support personnel, supervisors, managers, and executives, UI&U’s CJM program is well-suited for law enforcement personnel who want to see theory applied to real world experience. As a management degree, the program focuses on organizational management responses to policies, programs, personnel, and technology.
The online criminal justice program is based on the belief that social policy, decision-making, and reform in modern law enforcement require a broad academic experience. You'll learn from experienced criminal justice professionals and engage in innovative thinking, including theoretical foundations of the discipline, and explore appropriate research methods and principles applicable to the administration of justice field.
Online Delivery Model
Union's Online Criminal Justice degree completion program offers a rich academic environment where you can interact with faculty and fellow students in an online learning module. Courses are administered in rigorous, eight-week modules. Live locally, nationally, or anywhere in the world and enjoy the ultimate convenience of distance learning.
Through our university partnerships with law enforcement professional organizations throughout the country, UI&U is able to design collaborative agreements to enable law enforcement professionals to access accelerated pathways to degree completion. Some partnerships result in college credit awards for police academy training completed as part of law enforcement training, while other arrangements provide customized program services to law enforcement professionals.
Nationwide POST Evaluations
Union Institute & University's criminal justice degree program offers course credit for POST evaluations from all 50 states. View the complete list of transferable credits hours (PDF, 182kB). Please note that an additional 12 credit hours are awarded for 1 year FTO/Field Training Internship. UI&U has dozens of additional transfer credit options and tuition agreements that you may also qualify to receive.
Designed for professionals within any part of the criminal justice system
- Line personnel
- Law enforcement supervisors
- Law enforcement managers
- Law enforcement executives
- Law enforcement professional staff
- Program developed by professional law enforcement for law enforcement personnel.
- Personal attention from a faculty advisor and staff who understand your academic and scheduling needs.
- Transfer up to 32 semester units from Basic POST & FDLE training.
- Transfer up to 30 additional semester units for training beyond the academy training through UI&U’s certified learning method.
- Option to earn college credits through CLEP, DANTES, Challenge Exams, prior learning assessment, and credits recommended by ACE though military training.
- Network with UI&U's national community of law enforcement personnel who have served throughout the country.
- Financial aid available to those who qualify.
Upon completion of the major in Criminal Justice Management, students will be able to:
- Compare, contrast contemporary techniques for supervision, leadership and administration within a criminal justice organization.
- Summarize and interpret how current issues in the field of criminal justice impact organizations, personnel, and other stakeholders.
- Interpret applied ethical theories in a contemporary environment.
- Analyze and critique criminal justice policy and service delivery from a management point of view.
Accelerated Degree Completion Options
- Attending on-ground classes that meet face-to-face five (5) times in an eight (8)-week session or selecting distance learning options.
- Earning eight (8) credits in eight (8) weeks.
- Transferring credits from other regionally accredited colleges and universities.
- Requesting credit for knowledge gained outside the classroom through work or professional experience.
- Successfully completing CLEP or DANTES tests.
- Applying college credits for training through certified learning.
- Minimum time to degree completion: 12 months.