Global Studies, History & Culture | 888-828-8575888-828-8575

Teacher Licensure - Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Liberal Studies

Teacher Licensure

The Union Institute & University Teacher Licensure program has two options: undergraduate and post baccalaureate. In both options, UI&U offers a unique way to help you earn your license through a flexible combination of brief weekend residencies and online seminars. The licensure program at UI&U is designed to match the professional interests and career goals of aspiring teachers with a learning schedule that fits busy lives. Each term, students work one-on-one with a faculty mentor and a small study group with similar interests. A student's previously earned bachelor's degree will determine the area of endorsement (see chart below).


Union Institute & University’s Bachelor of Arts program is approved by the Vermont Department of Education to prepare teachers for licensure in the following endorsement areas.

  • Early Childhood Education (pre-K-3)
  • Elementary Education (K-6)
  • Secondary English (7-12)
  • Secondary Social Studies (7-12)
  • Art Education (K-12)

Where Can I Use My Vermont Teaching License? - Reciprocal Agreements

Students who successfully complete the Teacher Licensure program will receive a Vermont license to teach. Students are encouraged to review reciprocity requirements on their state's Department of Education website. Vermont has active reciprocal agreements with a majority of the 50 states. 


To pursue the teacher licensure option the following requirements must be met:

  • Overall average of B or better and a B average in major field (2.7 GPA).
  • Excellent writing skills.
  • Passing scores on Praxis Series. All students must submit Praxis I: Skill Assessment scores. For students pursuing licensure in Elementary Education or secondary areas of English, mathematics, science, or social studies, Praxis II: Subject Assessments must also be submitted.

Learn More

Visit the Teacher Licensure page for additional information regarding this program. Contact for direct support from an admissions counselor.