Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing
The Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing is available to students enrolled in the Ph.D. in Program and can be completed without taking additional coursework. Comprised of two workshop-style creative writing seminars and two advanced content seminars, the twelve-credit Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing provides students with formal recognition of their coursework in creative writing as well as their dedication to creative writing as a craft, scholarship, and intellectual pursuit. Given the increased attentiveness to creative writing in fields such as education, leadership studies, sociology, psychology, and medicine, many students find this formal recognition of their scholarly-creative work to be a valuable credential in both academic and non-academic job markets.
Benefits at a Glance
The Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing:
- Adds interdisciplinary breadth to a student's courses of study.
- Recognizes a student’s creative and scholarly pursuits in the field of Creative Writing.
- Enables students to delve deeply and fully into their own creative writing and the creative writing of others.
- Strengthens students' ability to read and critique a wide variety of texts with the eye of a writer and editor.
- Enables students to critically explore intersections of creative and scholarly discourses.
- Assists students in producing contextualized creative dissertations centered on creative writing projects.
The Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing requires 12 credit hours, 6 of which must be Creative Writing seminars taken as electives, and 6 of which may be chosen from among an approved list of advanced seminars.
6 credits, taken as electives
- HMS 808: Creative Writing I
- HMS 823: Creative Writing II
Any two of the following advanced seminars
- HMS 802: Memoir and Identity
- HMS/PPS 805: Poetry and Politics
- HMS/MLK 801: The Art of Protest
- HMS 816: Creative Writing Form and Genre
- HMS 850/860: Individualized Study (when used to produce creative work)
Current and prospective Ph.D. students interested in obtaining the Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing should contact Andrea Scarpino | email@example.com.