Dr. Alice Skirtz
July 2014 MLK Legacy Lecture
July 10, 2014
Holiday Inn Ballroom
Union marks its 10th MLK Legacy Lecture with special guest speaker and alumna Alice Skirtz, Ph.D. 2006. Dr. Skirtz is a social worker, community activist, and founder of the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless. In 2012 she authored Econocide: Elimination of the Urban Poor, concerning the growing economic inequalities in Cincinnati and policy debates over panhandling, homelessness, planning and funding for affordable housing, zoning for social service agencies, and site selection for shelters. In her book, Dr. Skirtz details how legislation and public policy privatized public assets and displaced residents who lack economic power and privilege. Dr. Skirtz holds a Ph.D., MSW, and LISW-S, and she is a long-time member of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). She has been active in social work, serving the homeless and economically disadvantaged since the 1960s, and continues to be actively involved in local issues of affordable housing and economic equity. This lecture is free and open to the public.
Read an interview with Dr. Skirtz from Cincinnati.com
1717 Airport Exchange Blvd.
Erlanger, Kentucky 41018
Past Scholars in Residence and Guest Presenters
Click here for the January 2013 Conference Day program
Click here for the July 2012 Conference Day program
- Dr. Stewart Burns, Author and Distinguished Historian of the Civil Rights Movement (January 2014)
- Dr. Anthony Bogues, Researcher, Writer, Professor, and Director of the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice (July 2013)
- Timothy Melley, English Professor and Director of the Humanities Center at Miami University (January 2013)
- Michael Quinn Patton, Independent organizational development and evaluation consultant (January 2013)
- Danielle Cadena Deulen, Poet & Essayist, Professor at the University of Cincinnati (January 2013)
- Peter Block, Author, consultant and citizen of Cincinnati (January 2013)
- Dr. Virgil Wood, Retired Pastor, Community Activist & King Associate
- Dr. Otis Moss, Sr., Retired Pastor, Noted Theologian & King Associate
- Hon. Shirley Franklin, Former Mayor of Atlanta, GA
- Dr. Vicki Carter, Director, King Papers Project, Morehouse College
- Myriam J.A. Chancy, Writer and Professor, University of Cincinnati (July 2012)
- Dr. O’dell Owens, President, Cincinnati State Technical and Community College (July 2012)
- Curtis Chin, Asian Pacific Americans for Progress (July 2012)
- George Shulman, Professor, Gallatin School of New York University
- David Altman, Executive Vice President, Research, Innovation, and Product Development at the Center for Creative Leadership (July 2011).
- Denise James, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Dayton (July 2011).
- Patricia Hill Collins, Distinguished University Professor of Sociology at the University of Maryland (January 2011).
- Sheila Kennedy, Professor of Law and Policy in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at the Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (July 2010).
- Martin Espada, Poet and Professor, University of Massachusetts Amherst (July 2009).