The Certificate in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling is offered as both a degree-dependent graduate certificate as well as a stand-alone graduate certificate. Students already enrolled in the Master of Arts with a Concentration in Counseling Psychology program may concurrently pursue the certificate without taking additional coursework. For individuals who pursue the certificate independent of the master's program, courses are eligible to apply toward Union’s M.A. with a Concentration in Counseling Psychology program.
The certificate program covers 270 hours of education/training in the required chemical dependency specific content areas. Chemical dependency specific education courses parallel formal structured instruction recommended by the National Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), specifically related to the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the core functions of alcohol and drug counseling. Students are eligible to apply for credentialing as Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors in the following states:
- New Hampshire
Prospective students residing in other states can contact email@example.com or 888-828-8575 for more information.
Three Program Options
For students in the M.A. with a concentration in Counseling Psychology program:
- 18 graduate credit hours (six courses)
- Tuition is the standard rate for graduate credits at Union for students in the embedded degree program who are concurrently enrolled in the Master of Arts with a concentration in Counseling Psychology program
Stand-alone certificate program:
- 270 education hours
- Six courses (45 education hours/three credits each)
- Tuition is a flat rate of $1350.00 per course ($30.00/education hour)
- Total $8100.00 (6 courses/ $1350.00 each)
*Applicants to the stand-alone Certificate in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling program must have a Bachelor’s degree and GPA of 2.5 or greater to be considered for entry. Students who are accepted with a GPA of less than 3.0 must successfully complete all Certificate courses before they can apply for admission to the Master of Arts with a Concentration in Counseling Psychology program.
- Take individual courses, without applying for the stand-alone certificate for $1350.00 per course
Start Date & Timing
All six courses are delivered online, with brief weekend residencies scheduled once each term. The weekend residencies take place simultaneously in Cincinnati and Brattleboro, Vermont during Saturday and Sunday. Students enrolled in the stand-alone Certificate program are welcome to attend residencies in the location nearest to their home. Students enrolled in the embedded Certificate program and as part of their Master’s degree curriculum are required to attend residencies.
Two courses are offered per academic term. The certificate can be completed in one year by enrolling in both courses each term.
Students within the Union master’s program:
- The certificate program can begin at any time by enrolling for courses in the prescribed sequence.
Students enrolled in the M.A. with a concentration in Counseling program:
- The stand-alone certificate is offered in a one-year sequence
- Begins fall or winter term
- Start in fall term and complete coursework in August; sit for the National licensing exam in October
- Fall 2013: Sep 3-Dec 22; residency weekend September 20-22
- Winter 2014: January 6-April 27; residency weekend February 14-17
- Spring/Summer 2014: May 5-August 24; residency weekend June 27-30
- Fall 2014: September 2-December 21; residency weekend September 19-22
- Friday: 5:30-8:00PM
- Saturday: 8:30AM-4:00PM
- Sunday: 8:30AM-12:00PM
- Monday: 9:00AM-12:00PM
- CPM-501 Counseling Theory and Practice
- CPM 507 Group Work and Therapy
- CPM 512 Psychopharmacology for Counselors
- CPM 518 Substance Abuse & Addictive Disorders
- CPM 530 Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment Planning of Addictive Disorders
- CPM 520 Substance Abuse Counseling with Addicted Populations
New applicants and current students should contact the Master of Arts with a Concentration in Counseling Psychology program office for additional details and application information, firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-828-8575.