The UI&U Library provides a
variety of resources to help our researchers gather, store, and cite research
information. We provide free access
to two citation formatting tools: Google Scholar@UI&U Cite Tool and
Zotero. In addition, the UI&U
Library provides citation examples for the APA, Chicago, and MLA styles. Whether you have a student who is
struggling with citations or you need a research tool for your own publishing,
these tools will save you time and hassle, in addition to being fun to
Google Scholar Cite Tool
Copy & paste preformatted APA, Chicago, and MLA citations directly
into your bibliography.
- Easy to learn and use
- Supports APA, MLA, and Chicago
- No account creation or software
excellent tool for Bachelors and Masters-level students.
note: Citations are automatically formatted and need to be reviewed for
Save citations & PDFs while researching and insert them
later into papers.
- Free and open source.
- Medium level of difficulty; can take several
days to learn.
- Supports APA, Chicago, MLA, and thousands of
other citation styles. Easy to switch between styles.
- Allows you to create a personal library of citations and PDFs. Most PDFs are automatically
imported with the citation.
- Citation library is stored on your computer.
You can sync between computers and store data online. Zotero provides 300
MB of online storage. (~300 PDFs). Additional space can be purchased for a
- Helps you organize your citations and
collaborate with other researchers.
- Browser compatibility: Mozilla Firefox,
Google Chrome, or Safari.
Zotero can also be used as a standalone program.
- Word processor compatibility: MS Word, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, and OpenOffice.
- Set-up required: Downloading Zotero and a
word processor plugin.
- Please note: Citations are
automatically formatted and need to be reviewed for accuracy.
APA, Chicago & MLA Citation
UI&U Library also provides citation templates and examples in the APA, MLA
& Chicago styles. It's often
helpful for students to copy and paste an article and book template into their bibliography so they can quickly check their citations.
Unit 6 Assignment (optional, worth 20
points): Use the Google Scholar Cite
Tool to find the citation for Sister Outsider by A. Lorde. Email the
proper citation to the instructor. If you're planning on using Zotero, watch the instructional
videos in the Help Center and download the software as well.