Need a book or article that is not in our collection? We may be able to obtain a copy from another library and mail it to you. Log into ILLiad to place requests and renew items.
Placing a Request
Information and Policies
- Delivery Time: 1-2 weeks for print books and A/V materials. Journal articles usually arrive sooner via e-mail.
- Loan Period/Renewing: The loan period is 30 days, with some time lost in shipping. The loan period, and the option to renew, are set by the lending library and can vary. Renew Books Video
- Cost: We process and ship the items to you at no cost, but you are responsible for the cost of return shipping.
- Lost Fees: Lost books are charged a non-refundable $50-$100 replacement fee, or higher as determined by the lending library.
- Please note: Obtaining textbooks and required readings through ILL is not recommended due to shipping delays and shorter loan periods. Many academic libraries will not lend textbooks and copyright restrictions limit our ability to obtain the same book for multiple students.
- Types of Materials Available Through Interlibrary Loan
||Books and articles to augment the resources in the Union Institute & University's Library collection
|May be Difficult to Obtain
- Recently published items
- Films, videos, and audio books
||Textbooks and required readings
||Books already in our online collection (unless there is a demonstrated need)
Eligibility: Current Union Institute & University affiliates in good standing.* Students residing outside the 48 contiguous states of the U.S. only have access to scanned images or photocopies of articles and book chapters via our interlibrary loan department. For liability reasons, print books and any other physical items borrowed via interlibrary loan may not be mailed to students residing beyond this region.
*Special note about library privileges: When an item is overdue, it affects our ability to get interlibrary loan materials for other patrons. For this reason, interlibrary loan is a privilege restricted to patrons with a demonstrated record of responsible borrowing activities. In cases when individuals requesting interlibrary loan materials have a past record of consistent lateness in returning any circulating library materials, the library reserves the right to limit the number of interlibrary loan requests that will be processed at any particular time. In extreme cases of flagrant and chronic abuses of established circulation and/or interlibrary loan policies, the library reserves the right to deny access to interlibrary loan services altogether.