At times, the materials you need for your research will not be available through the UI&U Library. When this occurs, you can use our interlibrary loan (ILL) service to request items that we do not own, and we will work with a network of other libraries to obtain those items for you.
Placing an Interlibrary Loan Request
- Check the Catalog/Google Scholar: Prior to placing your request, please check the catalog (for e-books) or Google Scholar@UI&U (for articles) to see if the UI&U Library has access to the item you are requesting. We are not able to accept requests for items that we have access to electronically.
- Check with a Reference Librarian: If you're researching a topic, it may help to contact a reference librarian before placing your request. The library collection may already have articles and e-books on your topic that can be accessed immediately.
- Login/Register: Go to the interlibrary loan page and log into ILLiad with your MyUnion ID and password. The first time you login, you will be prompted to fill out a registration form.
- Submit a Request: After logging into ILLiad, select the media type (in the left-hand column, under new request) and fill out the request form.
- Returning Interlibrary Loan materials: Please place materials in a clean, well-taped cardboard box or padded mailing envelope and return them to: UI&U Library - Interlibrary Loan, 62 Ridge Street, Suite 2, Montpelier, VT 05602
Information & Policies
- Delivery Time: 1-2 weeks for print books and A/V materials. Journal articles usually arrive sooner via email.
- Loan Period/Renewing: The loan period is 30 days, with some time lost in shipping. The loan period, and the option to renew, are set by the lending library and can vary.
- Cost: We process and ship the items to you at no cost, but you are responsible for the cost of return shipping.
- Lost Fees: Lost books are charged a non-refundable $50-$100 replacement fee, or higher as determined by the lending library
- Please note: Obtaining textbooks and required readings through ILL is not recommended due to shipping delays and shorter loan periods. Many academic libraries will not lend textbooks and copyright restrictions limit our ability to obtain the same book for multiple students.
Types of Materials Available Through Interlibrary Loan
- Recommended: Books and articles to augment the resources in the UI&U Library collection
- May be Difficult to Obtain: Recently published items, dissertations, and films, videos, and audio books
- Not Recommended: Textbooks and required readings
- Not Available: Books already in our online collection (unless there is a demonstrated need)