- University of New Mexico, Ph.D., with distinction, l983 (American Studies)
- Texas Tech University, M.A., l971 (American Literature)
- Texas Tech University, B.A., l969 (English; Journalism)
Teaching Experience/Academic Appointments:
- Professor of American Literature and Culture, University of Humanities and Economics, Lodz Poland, summer 2006
- University of Tampere, Finland, Fulbright Senior Specialist, 2005
- Laszlo Orszagh Chair in American Studies (Fulbright), Budapest Hungary, spring 2004
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, Women's Studies Program, Visiting Professor, summer 2002
- University of Lodz, English Institute, Fulbright Senior Specialist, summer 2002
- Distinguished Chair in American Literature, Fulbright, University of Warsaw, Poland, spring 2000
- University of Texas at El Paso, professor of English (tenured), present
- University of Texas at El Paso, Director of the Master's in Interdisciplinary Studies, 2004-5
- University of Texas at El Paso, Director of Women's Studies, l997-2001
- Dorrance D. Roderick Professor of English, University of Texas at El Paso, spring 1995
- University of Memphis, Visiting Professor in American Literature and Cultural Studies, fall l993
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, professor of American Studies (tenured), l990-l997
- Universidad Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon Portugal, Fulbright Scholar, American Culture and Literature, l990
West Texas State University, Associate Professor of English, l983-l990 (tenured)
- University of Albuquerque, Assistant Professor, l980-l982
- University of New Mexico, Visiting Lecturer, l979
Skidmore College (Adirondack and Colorado Institutes), lecturer, summers l977-l978
- University of Asmara Ethiopia, visiting professor, l973
- Tarrant County Junior College, Fort Worth, Texas, Associate professor l975-l978 (tenured); assistant professor, l971- 75
- Texas Tech University, teaching assistant, l969-71
Over fifty articles in refereed journals
- "Prairie Interrupted", in Nature Writers: The Junction Anthology. Lubbock: Texas Tech U. Press, forthcoming
- "Writing Llano in Writing on the Wind: An Anthology of West Texas Women Writers". Lubbock: Texas Tech U. Press, 2005
- Bones Incandescent: The Pajarito Journals of Peggy Pond Church. Lubbock: Texas Tech U. Press, 2001
- Women's Work: Essays in Cultural Studies. Connecticut: Locust Hill Press, l995.
- Kewpies and Beyond: The World of Rose O'Neill. Jackson: University of Mississippi Press, l994.
- This Dancing Ground of Sky: The Collected Poems of Peggy Pond Church. Ed. Santa Fe: Red Crane Books, l993.
- Peggy Pond Church. Boise State University: Western Writers Series, l993.
- Wind's Trail: The Early Life of Mary Austin. Ed. with introduction. Santa Fe: Museum of New Mexico Press, l990.
- John Held, Jr.: Illustrator of the Jazz Age. Syracuse: Syracuse U. Press, l987
- Reading into Photography: Essays on Photographic Criticism. Eds.
- Thomas Barrow, William Tydeman, Shelley Armitage. Albuquerque: U. of New Mexico Press, l981.