ADA Policy of Union Institute & University

Effective July 1, 2013, as Revised

ADA Policy of Union Institute & University

Union Institute & University is committed to providing equal educational to qualified persons with disabilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) requires the university to make reasonable accommodations to students with a disability only if the individual requests such accommodations.

Requesting Services/Accommodations

Union Institute & University, under Federal requirements (Section504/ADA,) will make accommodations in the learning and the instructional environment to meet the documented needs of students with disabilities.  The general academic regulations and graduation requirements of university programs are, however, identical for all students, regardless of whether they have a disability or not. Accommodations cannot be made for a student unless he/she requests services directly from the Accessibility office

To request services

Complete the Disability Disclosure Form, you will need your CampusWeb login to access the form and it will be automatically delivered to the accessibility coordinator.  The coordinator will then contact the student to discuss an appropriate education plan and in some, but not all cases, request further documentation.  The accessibility coordinator will then prepare the EP, have it approved by the student and distribute it to the appropriate staff and faculty to effect the plan.  The plan will remain in the accessibility coordinator’s office and never become part of the permanent academic record of the student.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify the accessibility office at the beginning of each semester to effect the continuance of the plan.

Determining the Functional Limitation of Your Disability

Do you know how to describe your disability and how it impacts you? Most students don’t. One skill that all students with disabilities should develop is the ability to talk about his or her disability and need for accommodations. Most students aren’t sure where to start or what information is relevant.

The first questions you should ask yourself are “How does my disability affect me?” and “How am I struggling in my studies?” The answers to these questions will usually lead you to the modifications that you need to accommodate your disability.

Here are some questions that can guide you:

  • When thinking about your past:
  • What problem situations can you attribute to your disability?
  • What tasks have you done well?
  • How have you modified tasks or environments to compensate for your condition in the past?
  • What adaptive devices or assistive technology has been helpful to your success?
  • What support services have been helpful in the past?
  • When thinking about your disability:
  • Can you name your disability?
  • When were you diagnosed with the condition?
  • Are there any cyclical or episodic flare ups?
  • Are there any known triggers – environmental, emotional or otherwise?
  • Do you have ongoing medical treatment for your condition? If yes, what is the treatment and what impact does it have on your ability to function?
  • How does your disability impact:
  • Listening?
  • Reading?
  • Keyboarding/typing?
  • Writing narratives?
  • Manipulation of objects?
  • Speed of reaction or bodily movements?
  • Sleep?
  • Social interactions?
  • Research in a library or via the Internet?
  • Mathematical calculations?
  • Ability to meet deadlines?
  • When thinking about learning and taking studies:
  • How do I learn best?
  • What are my assets?
  • What are my challenges?
  • What accommodations have I used in the past?
  • When I have done well in the past, what strategies or resources did I use?
  • What have I tried that hasn’t worked?

Faculty/Staff reporting:

If a student divulges to a faculty/staff member that s/he has a disability and the student not have an educational profile (EP), the faculty/staff must inform the student immediately that s/he should contact the Accessibility Coordinator (AC) for a preliminary assessment.  The faculty/staff member who makes the referral should document it with a dated note or email sent to the AC and keep a copy of the documentation.  No faculty or staff member may accommodate a student who claims a disability unless there is an Education Profile on record for that student.

Accessibility Coordinator can be reached at: adacoordinator@myunion.edu | 800-461-6400 x1135