Veterans & Military

veterans@myunion.edu | 802-828-8837

How to Use Your Veterans Affairs Benefits

Step 1: Apply for Benefits

To receive veteran’s education benefits, you must apply with the Department of Veterans Affairs. The preferred method is online. Below are your options.

  1. Online Application (via VA Web site).
  2. Print, complete, and mail a copy of the application form to your regional VA processing office (keep an additional copy for your records).  The application contains addresses for all regional offices.
  3. Call toll free at 888-442-4551 to complete the application form over the phone.
  4. Form 22-1990 is also available at all Department of Veteran Affairs offices, most active duty military stations and American Embassies in other countries.

Please note: If you have already completed a 22-1990 and used your GI Bill before, please complete a 22-1995: Request for Change of Program or Place of training.

Step 2: Send Documentation to School for Certification

Once accepted by Union Institute & University, mail a copy of your DD Form 214 or Certificate of Eligibility Sample or 22-1995 (Change of Program-Place of Training) to the certifying official for your Union Institute & University academic center. Click for a complete list of Union Institute & University certifying officials.

The Union Institute & University certifying official will send enrollment certification to the regional processing office after receiving eligibility information from the learner and verifying that the learner is registered for the current term.

Please note: Only the Veterans Administration can determine your benefits eligibility. We are responsible for certifying your enrollment status to the Veterans Administration. Once your benefits are certified you will receive payment from the Veterans Administration.

Please note: If you are a Post 9/11 GI Bill recipient, your tuition and fees payments will be made directly to Union Institute & University.