Union Institute and University

Designated School Officials (DSOs) At Union Institute & University

Cincinnati, OH:

Mary GinnPh.D. (PDSO) – Contact for Ed.D. and Ph.D. Programs
Director, International Student Services and Institutional Review Board
Phone: 800.861.6400, ext. 1153
513.487.1153 | Fax: 513.861.0779
Union Institute & University
440 E. McMillan Street
Cincinnati, OH 45206-1925

Brattleboro, VT:

Sarah Bergh, Ph.D. (DSO) – Contact for M.A. Psych Program
Administrative Coordinator – MA Program
Phone: 800.871.8165, ext. 8915
802.254.0152, ext. 8915 | Fax: 802.257.8923
Union Institute & University
New England Academic Center
28 Vernon Street, Suite 210
Brattleboro, Vermont 05301-3666

When to Contact Your Designated School Official (DSO)

Designated School Officials (DSOs) are here to help you maintain your nonimmigrant status. Your status is your responsibility; seek advice when in doubt. Read all information provided on this site and open and respond to all e-mail from your DSO.

The following list is a quick reminder of when you should, or could, seek assistance from your DSO. Remember that seeking assistance early provides you with the greatest number of options and maximum flexibility, which is the case in time-sensitive situations.

Situations that are time-sensitive and must be reported to your DSO:

  • You want to change your degree program, your major or concentration from what is listed on your I-20.
  • You want to take less than a full course of study.
  • You have moved and need to change your address.
  • You plan to quit school.
  • You need a release to transfer to another college or university.
  • You want to change your immigration status.
  • You need to apply for an extension of stay because your I-20 will expire before you complete your degree program (i.e., duration of stay—D/S).
  • You do not plan to enroll during the fall or spring term.
  • You are having academic problems with your courses.
  • You have not maintained your F-1 status (i.e., you are out of status).
  • An official at the port of entry made an error on your documents or gave you an immigration form to file (perhaps Form I-515A) during your or your family’s last entrance into the U.S.
  • You plan to travel outside the U.S.
  • You need to report departure dates and reasons for leaving UI&U and the U.S. after completing your residency or degree program.
  • You need to provide information on where you will be during the grace period after your program of study is completed and before you depart the U.S.
  • You need to provide documentation on dependents.

Situations in which your DSO can offer expert advice:

  • You need information about your immigration status.
  • You are unsure of your student visa requirements.
  • You are not sure about what employment options or restrictions apply to you.
  • Unforeseen financial difficulties have arisen after you last entered the U.S.
  • You are making plans that you think might have immigration implications.