Union Institute and University

Required Forms And Other Documents

While you are in the U.S. and attending Union Institute & University, you are required to maintain your F-1 immigration status. In order to maintain your F-1 status, you will be required to submit various forms and requests. These forms are included in the following table along with general information to help you understand your responsibilities and reporting requirements for maintaining your status.

Most forms listed below include a link to a PDF form that you may download, complete, and submit via e-mail attachment international.students@myunion.edu or by mail. All financial certification forms and affidavits of sponsorship for room and board must be mailed—the original signatures and certification / notarization seal are required.

Some forms must be printed, signed, and brought to your DSO or sent to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Submit completed forms to the DSO at the Union location you are approved to attend.

To access and print the forms, you will need Adobe Acrobat version 7.0 or later. If you need assistance, contact International Student Services at international.students@myunion.edu.

International Student Services typically will process documents in three to nine days.


Form or Document Purpose of Form or Document


Estimated Expenses  Use this as a guide when determining sufficient funding for each residency and for your entire degree program at UI&U. Tuition costs are subject to change.
Union Financial Certification Complete this form to provide evidence of financial funding needed for attending each residency and your entire degree program at Union. Each person contributing financial support must prepare and submit an Affidavit of Sponsorship.
Instructions for Completing Union Financial Certification Form  Follow these instructions to provide documentation of sufficient financial support for each residency and the entire degree program at Union.
I-20 FAQs Provides answers to commonly-asked questions about the process of obtaining an F-1 student visa.
Applicants Transferring to Union – Required Report  If you are already in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa and wish to transfer to Union Institute & University, submit this required supplemental information and transfer form to the UI&U Office of Admissions when you have made the final decision to transfer from a current college or university in the U.S. and enroll at UI&U.
SEVIS Fee Information Review this detailed information about SEVIS fees and how to pay them. Prior to applying for a student visa. International applicants must pay a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This fee will need to be paid to the DHS each time you are physically present for a residency at Union. A new I-20 will be issued for each residency.
Form I-901 Follow the Included instructions for completing Form I-901. Submit Form I-901 to pay the $200 SEVIS fee to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) electronically.
International Student Handbook Refer to this Handbook whenever questions arise about your F-1 status. It contains valuable information that international students will need throughout their stay at UI&U and while in the U.S.
English Proficiency Requirement Contains required TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE Academic scores for all UI&U applicants whose native language is not English. A list of exempt countries is included.
Transcript Evaluation Select a transcript evaluation agency from this list and request a course-by-course evaluation prior to submitting an application to Union Institute & University. Students are responsible for all costs for transcript evaluations.

Status Information

Maintaining F-1 Status Follow these requirements and responsibilities for maintaining your F-1 immigration status while in the U.S. and attending UI&U.
Role and Responsibility in the SEVIS System Review this information so that you clearly understand your responsibilities for reporting address changes, obtaining authorization to enroll in less than a full course of study, reporting departure dates and reasons, abiding by employment regulations, obtaining a release to transfer to another school, applying for an extension of stay, changing academic program or degree level, obtaining authorization to travel, adhering to the grace period, and providing documentation on dependents.
Request Union Transfer Submit this form to your Union DSO to obtain a release to transfer to another college or university in the U.S. Union will need to transfer sponsorship in SEVIS to the new school.
Reduced Course Load – Academic Reasons  Submit this form to your DSO to request approval to enroll in less than a full course load for academic reasons. You must be in your final term at Union and have less than a full course load remaining, or you are obtaining an extension in school to complete your dissertation, thesis, or final document. A reduction in course load must be approved by your DSO.
Replace a Lost I-20  Submit this request form to your DSO if you lost or misplaced your I-20 issued by Union. International students must have an I-20 in their possession at all times. A replacement must be secured as soon as possible after the loss of an I-20.
Change in Academic Level / Major / Concentration Submit this form to your DSO prior to academically changing your degree level or major. A new I-20 must be obtained whenever an international student changes from one degree level to another degree level, such as from bachelor’s to master’s level, or changes majors or concentrations.
Dependent Info  Supply requested information about your spouse and each child that you wish to bring to the U.S. while you are attending a Union residency. Submit to your DSO.
Change of Status to F-1  Review information about changing from your current immigration status to F-1 and complete the application form on the last page. Attach Form I-539 to this application and submit both to USCIS.
I-539 Form Submit this form AND the application form in the Change of Status to F-1 document to USCIS to complete a change in immigration status.
I-539 Instructions Follow these instructions to assure that Form I-539 is completed properly.
Request for Reinstatement to F-1 Student Status Submit this required application if you have failed to maintain status and want to be reinstated to F-1 immigration status.
SEVIS Update Submit requested information on this form to your Union DSO every six (6) months.
Emergency Contact Information Supply all requested information so that UI&U may contact family and/or friends in the event of illness or emergency.