Union Institute and University

Role And Responsibility In The SEVIS System

All F-1 students are part of the SEVIS tracking and monitoring system, and you need to understand what this requirement means. Being a student with F-1 status, you are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with U.S. laws and regulations that apply to you. If you fail to do so, you could be deported from the United States and barred from returning for an extended period of time, thereby jeopardizing your academic career.

We want you to successfully complete your program at Union Institute & University. Your failure to be aware of and comply with these requirements could jeopardize your academic plans. Reading and fully understanding this information is extremely important. All reportable events should be reported to the Designated School Official (DSO) at the UI&U campus you attend.

Requirement to Report Address Changes to UI&U

You are required to report any address change to UI&U within 10 days of the address change. This requirement includes address changes for any of your dependents as well.

Authorization from UI&U to Drop Below a Full Course of Study

You are required to pursue a full course of study during residency semesters. Full time at UI&U is 12 credit hours. You are allowed to deviate from this full course of study only with PRIOR authorization from UI&U, and only under limited circumstances. You will need to complete an F-1 Reduced Course Load Certification Form to make this request for academic reasons.

Requirement to Report Departure Date and Reason to UI&U

You must report to UI&U the date you plan to leave the U.S. after each residency. You can report your departure date by completing and submitting the SEVIS Update Form to your DSO.

Requirement to Abide by Employment Regulations

Although the F-1 student visa classification allows for student employment on the campus they attend as well as off campus to compliment their education, the unique nature of our program will prohibit you from working while in the U.S.

Requirement to Transfer to Another School

You are currently authorized to attend Union Institute & University. If you decide to attend another school in the U.S., you must notify UI&U of your intent to transfer and what school you plan on transferring to. UI&U will then enter a “Release” date in SEVIS (usually the day the current term ends). After this date is reached, the new school can issue you an I-20. You will then have to report to the Designated School Official/Responsible Officer at the new school within 15 days of the program start date.

Requirement for Changing Your Academic Program or Degree Level

Students must obtain a new Form I-20 before changing their academic program from one degree level to another (e.g., from Bachelor’s to Master’s level) or one major / field of study to another (e.g., from Counseling to Education). You must receive a new I-20 for your new program prior to coming the U.S. to engage in your required residency.

Requirement to Adhere to Grace Period

At the conclusion of each residency period, you have a 60-day grace period. During the grace period you are expected to depart the U.S., transfer to another institution, or, if eligible, change to another nonimmigrant status. Failure to adhere to the grace period requirement is a violation of status.

Requirement to Provide Documentation of Dependents

UI&U is required to report information to the DHS and/or Department of State (DOS) regarding your dependents—spouse and children. Family members, such as spouse and children, must have F-2 visas to enter the U.S. You must notify UI&U of any accompanying dependents in F-2 status and provide biographical information (e.g., full name, address, country of birth, etc.) and immigration information (e.g., passport information, visa information, etc.) regarding those dependents using the UI&U Form 664 Request for F-2 Dependents Form.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This information is not exhaustive and is subject to change without notice. International students should contact the UI&U Designated School Official at the campus they will attend with questions on any information presented above.