Union Institute and University

How to Apply for Financial Aid


The financial aid application process or FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, begins on January 1 of each year.  For example, the 2014-2015 is currently available to be completed, starting January 1, 2014. In order to submit the FAFSA,the student (and parent if applicable) will need to electronically sign the FAFSA with a personal identification number or PIN.  All students are encouraged to complete and submit the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, as most students will be eligible for some type of financial aid. The 2014-2015 FAFSA requires data from the 2013 Form 1040 tax return.

  • You may complete the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA by going to fafsa.ed.gov
  • You may apply for a PIN by going to pin.ed.gov

School Code

Union Institute & University’s school code:  010923

Student Aid Report

After submitting the FAFSA, students will receive a Student Aid Report. Students should review this report and respond promptly to financial aid inquiries as additional documentation may be necessary to complete the financial aid awarding process.

Please check your personal and or Union Institute & University email account regularly as this is the primary means of communicating Student Aid Report information between the Financial Aid Office and students.

Award Letter

Once you have been admitted and the Office of Financial Aid receives the results of the FAFSA, or, if you are a current student, the Renewal FAFSA, and any additional documentation, a financial aid award letter will be prepared and sent to you specifying the types of funding you have been awarded.  Generally, you will receive the financial aid award letter within days of receiving your Student Aid Report.

To avoid financial aid disbursements delays, please submit all required documents. If you are a direct loan borrower, you are required to complete a Master Promissory Note (first time, Union Institute & University borrower).  Also, all borrowers are required to complete an Entrance Loan Counseling. Both the Note and the Counseling may be completed at studentloans.gov.  You will need your PIN to enter the site.

Scholarship and Benefits

If you receive financial assistance with your UI&U college costs you must file the Scholarship and Benefits Reporting Form.

Declining Financial Aid

If you wish to decline any or part of your financial aid award, please email the Office of Financial Aid at finaid@myunion.edu. This will allow the office to mark your file so you will not receive further reminders of needed documents.