Union Institute and University

Federal Work-Study


Federal Work Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Monies earned under this program must be counted as a resource available to the student to meet the demonstrated financial need.  A FWS recipient must meet all federal student aid eligibility criteria including satisfactory academic progress and at least half-time enrollment status. Your financial need is determined from the results of your annual FAFSA.

The FWS program encourages community service work, reading literacy programs, and work related to the recipient’s course of study**.

If you have already completed the FAFSA for the academic year and you are interested in FWS employment you should contact the financial aid office by telephone at 1.800.486.3116, ext. 2005 or by e-mail to finaid@myunion.edu. The financial aid office will determine if you are eligible for a FWS award. If you are eligible, you will need to provide an updated resume to be placed in the employment database.  If you are hired, then you will receive an official financial aid award letter which will include the amount of your FWS award. Note: the amount you earn from your FWS employment cannot exceed your FWS award. Once hired, there will be additional hiring paperwork that you will need to complete.

FWS Employment at UI&U

A student may be employed by UI&U at any of our academic centers. Typically FWS recipients employed by UI&U work in clerical and administrative positions. A student may also serve as a research assistant to a professor or instructor as long as the work is in line with the professor’s official duties and is considered work for the university itself.

**Note on Community Service

Union Institute & University encourages you are to locate a community service position!  You will need to contact both the non for profit agency or institution as well as the Financial Aid Office to schedule an interview. If you are hired as a FWS employee, you will need to submit a completed FWS Off Campus Contract and Job Placement form to the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Work Study Employees are NOT eligible to receive Unemployment Compensation as this is a government funded financial aid program.